Friday, June 15, 2012

Healthy Carrot Mini-Muffins

This is kind of like a low-sugar carrot cake. Its great in the mornings or as a snack and I actually wrote down my quantities this time so I can give you a proper recipe!

Makes 6

Ingredients:


2 tbs butter
2 tbs sugar
1 large organic egg beaten
3 tbs plain kefir
1/4 cup of self rising whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup of grated carrot

Using a wooden spoon beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl (you can use electric beaters but I dont own any so I did it by hand....). Gradually add the egg bit by bit and continue to beat with wooden spoon.

Add the carrots and cinnamon and gently mix. Then add the kefir and lastly, the flour.

Spoon the batter into a muffin pan. Bake at 425 F for about 15-20 minutes.



Questions you may or may not have:

1.) Can I use oil instead?
Sure! Just make sure its an oil with a high smoke point like rice bran oil or coconut oil

2.) You did this all by hand, I want to use my mixer, am I lazy?
Yes, but its ok, if I owned a mixer I would use one too. Just be careful not to over beat the mixture. Keep it on a slow speed and don't over do it!

3.) These are not sweet, can I add more sugar?
No, I dont recommend it. But once they are cooked you can serve it with cream cheese and 100% fruit spread if you like.

4.) Is there anything I can use besides kefir?
Yes, you can try any type of milk that you like, sour cream or even yoghurt. Just check the consistency. It shouldn't be runny or too thick and pasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment